Thursday 25 July 2013

Yelena Isinbayeva to retire after world athletics championships

Olympic champion Yelena Isinbayeva of Russia wins the pole-vault event at the International track-and-field meeting, held at the Stade Jean Adret in Sotteville-les-Rouen in Normandy.

Russian pole vaulter and double Olympic champion Yelena Isinbayeva announced yesterday she would be retiring after her home world athletics championships, which take place in Moscow in August.

I call her the Queen of female athletics and she can justly the claim to be the most successful woman athlete of all time.. In fact Last month, Sportunes removed hair dressing for the lady that has broken her own world record 27 times (HERE).

The 31-year-old double world champion announced the news after winning her national title in Moscow’s Luzhniki arena.

"My career will come to its end at the world championships," Isinbayeva said.

"For me it will be a really nostalgic moment. I want to enjoy a joyful finish to my career and will show my best at the world championships.

"At the worlds I will fight with the height and myself. It was here in Luzhniki that I won my first title and here my career will come to an end.

"I expect huge support from my fans at the event... I’m ready to battle for the win."

Bouncing back: Isinbayeva set a new world record mark in Zurich last year

Isinbayeva set her first world record back in 2003 and has held the overall pole vault world record unbroken since 2004. Her latest achievement dates back to 2009 when she coped with a mind-blowing height of 5 metres 6 cm at a Diamond League event in Zurich. All in all the prominent Russian pole vaulter has 28 world records under her belt.

Agony: Yelena Isinbayeva couldn't contain her disappointment after failing to win the world title in Berlin last year

“I will take a break in my career to build family and have children. I am already not quite young and I am afraid of missing the right moment. Of course I believe that my organism will recover after the childbirth. There are cases when women returned to sport after childbirth and won, as if they found a second wind. I strongly believe I will succeed. I will be well-prepared to the Olympics in Rio and will definitely gain my third gold medal, so that I could happily accomplish my carrier. Anyway, I don’t know. We shall see what we shall see.” Elena commented on her decision to retire.

3 comments:

  1. Shes nowhere near the greatest man cos i can count 100 athletes that will beat her ass

    ReplyDelete
  2. ISINBAYEVA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just cool 2 leave wen the ovation is loudest

    ReplyDelete