Saturday 13 July 2013

Andy Roddick reflects on career, The American misses the court.

Roddick: Big-serving American

Andy Roddick spent the better part of a decade as the face of United States tennis.

It was a mantle he didn’t entirely relinquish until his somewhat abrupt retirement at last year’s U.S. Open, the tournament he won in 2003 for the only major title of a stellar career. It was the last major won by a U.S. male.

The void left by Roddick’s departure is clearly felt in men’s singles – the Bryan Brothers carry the banner in doubles – where John Isner has showed some flashes of brilliance but hasn’t fully grasped the title of top American male. 

End of the road: Andy Roddick announced his retirement at the US Open

Roddick, 30, said before a World Team Tennis match this week:

“I think I embraced (the role), I don’t think I really had a choice,” said former world number 1. “It wasn’t a conscious decision in terms of giving it a hug, but there certainly was a responsibility for me coming on the heels of the so-called Golden Generation (Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi).

“When it got placed on me, I was probably too young to realize the magnitude, but I didn’t know professional tennis without it. It wasn’t anything I was going to run from. I’m sure people would have liked me to win Wimbledon, but I worked my (butt) off and did what I could.

“It’s an adjustment period for the guys. They’re going to have to deal with the pressures and there’s a lot that goes on whether it’s Sam (Querrey) or John or somebody else. But there’s responsibility and I’m sure they’ll deal with it.”

Andy Roddick - Miami Tennis Cup

Knowing what that pressure feels like is why Roddick was happy to see Andy Murray win Wimbledon on Sunday, the first British man since 1936 to accomplish the feat.

“You talk about the pressures put on somebody by a country, whatever I dealt with he had a million times more and (he took it) head-on,” said Roddick.”(Beating Murray in the 2009 Wimbledon semifinals), I felt like I shot Bambi. The first four pages in the paper there are Murray, Murray, Murray and what he eat for lunch today and then you get to page 6 and it’s Murray again.”

Roddick is not only a player in the WTT but has invested in the venture, which is spearheaded by legend Billie Jean King. He joined the ownership group along with Venus Williams in May.

One the bounce: Roddick accepts his days are numbered

This is his seventh year in the league as he was also a player for many years when he was at the top of his game.

“It makes me realize I used to be good,” said Roddick of this one-week return to the game. “I haven’t been to a tournament since I left. A lot of good memories come back. It was such a big part of my existence for so long. It’s something I’ll always love, and it’s nice to be offered the opportunity to come back, especially in this format. It’s a lot more interactive than you would get at say the U.S. Open. The players are more accessible.

“You think of sports towns and Philly is always on the short list. I haven’t had a chance to play here too often, and it’s fun. I’m a sports fanatic and to come to a place with a deep-rooted interest in the culture of sports is always fun.”

Andy Roddick

The hard-serving Nebraskan reached No. 1 in the world, won 32 titles and played in five major finals, including Wimbledon three times, while leading the U.S. to the 2007 Davis Cup title. He was limited to the one major championship mostly because he played in the same era as 17-time major champion Roger Federer, who beat Roddick four times in finals including in a 16-14 fifth-set Wimbledon classic in 2009.

Roddick took some criticism for not adding on to the U.S. Open crown, but a look at the men’s game clearly explains the reasons why he didn’t. In addition to Federer’s record 17 titles, Rafael Nadal has 12 majors and Novak Djokovic six.

That’s 35 titles – or nearly 12 years worth – won by some of the greatest players in the history of the game. Only Andy Murray (2), Lleyton Hewitt (2) and Juan Martin Del Potro (1) have won majors among active players.

Major glory: Roddick reacts after winning the US Open

“I’m satisfied when I went to sleep at night that I felt like I got the most out of the day,” said Roddick. “The proudest thing was the work I put into it. I was always fighting an uphill battle of talent with Rafa or Roger. I think I worked to slim those margins.


Major glory: Roddick reacts after winning the US Open

“Looking back you tell someone they won a Slam, Davis Cup, (32) titles, if anyone says that’s a disappointment that’s a pretty big compliment to your potential. But I put everything I had in, that’s what I got out and that’s the way it is.”

Roddick is spending his time running his charitable foundation and has hosted national radio and television shows. He misses the game, though seems satisfied.

“I never expected not to miss it all, I never expected to not have emotions, but it’s been an easy transition,” said Roddick.

No comments:

Post a Comment