Wednesday 11 September 2013

Roberto Carlos: Samuel Eto'o 'did everything at Anzhi, except play football'.


ROBERTO-CARLOS-ETO-O-ANZHI.jpg

In his role as Anzhi Makhachkala's Team Director, Roberto Carlos facilitated the signing of Samuel Eto'o. Now that both have left the Russian Premier League club, the Brazilian has expressed his disappointment in what Eto'o delivered for Anzhi in his two years there. 

"I've known Eto'o since he was 16, and from that time on he's always been a good guy who I've liked him a lot. He's a good person, but there is a part of him that thinks 'I, and not the group', which is really damaging" said Roberto Carlos in an interview with Globo.

"When a footballer, instead of playing, is interested in signing players who are his friends... It's confusing and strange. He did everything at Anzhi, except play football.

“I came to the club, and in and my first year we finished in top five. We managed to professionalise team. In the second year, we signed Eto'o, and I had control of the team: I organised the players and worked with the coach. I put Anzhi among the best. With the arrival of Eto'o, with the values of everyone involved, I had some little problems in the dressing room and had to talk to the Russian players and explain why Eto'o was there.

“However a moment arrived when Eto'o thought to interfere with my work, to control the club, taking my position and that of Guus [Hiddink]. We talked about one thing, and then he went to the players and talked about another. That stressed me out, and I warned that I would pack my bags and go. No-one believed me, because I had a four-year contract. But then I called Anzhi and came to an agreement.”

The Brazilian is now Sporting Director at Turkish club Sivasspor, while Hiddink resigned as Anzhi

No comments:

Post a Comment