Friday 6 September 2013

Abidal blasts Barcelona.. "When i was ill, the club did not pay me"



Today must be World Anti-Barca day, just hours after we reported Ibrahimovic's scathing attack on Barcelona, Eric Abidal too has followed suit, as he blasted the Catalan club for the way they pushed him out of the club and even suggested they did not pay him when he was recovering from a liver transplant.

The French defender who has been ever present for Monaco this season after Barcelona got rid of him in the summer suggesting he was no longer fit to play at the highest level has spoken out against the club.

But unlike Zlatan, Abidal was full of praise for Pep Guardiola;

He told L'Equipe: 'If Guardiola was still at Barça then I would probably have stayed. He is someone who appreciated me and we have stayed in contact. He is a wonderful coach.'

It was president Sandro Rosell who made the decision to get rid of Abidal who is now back in the France side and the defender said: 'It was difficult to accept their decision. But what choice did I have?



'The things that Barça were saying in the press conference that they held to announce my departure did not make a lot of sense. It was not about money because during the months when I was ill the club did not pay me.'

Barcelona have left themselves short in the centre of defence after a summer of failing to sign a new centre-half. They tried unsuccessfully to bring in Daniel Agger from Liverpool.



Abidal is now playing at the heart of both France and Monaco's defence. He added: 'At my age it is easier to play in the centre with a younger full-back alongside me. But the main thing is that the coach (Claudio Ranieri) knows I can play in both positions.'

Barcelona are yet to respond to these suggestions from their former player.

2 comments: